College is a time for young people to experience independence and begin adapting to life on their own. Along with the perks of being surrounded by fun-loving people their own age and having an unlimited supply of pizza readily available for breakfast, lunch and dinner, that college dorm can house some some health hazards. Recent studies indicate that mold is literally a growing problem in college dorms. The problem requires many schools to relocate students while mold treatment takes place and can cause a wide range of health problems for students.
Why is mold a problem for college dorms?
With class schedules and social activities, college students stay busy. They do not always devote adequate time to housekeeping tasks like cleaning up spills and cleaning the bathroom. Another thing about these bathrooms, they are often in older buildings that do not have sufficient ventilation. Several students using the same facilities for hot showers increases the humidity present around the clock.
What should students do if they find mold?
They should notify the environmental services for the college immediately. Depending on the severity of the mold problem, they may need to request a move to another dorm temporarily. Proper identification and mold treatment should be left to professionals. According to the EPA, mold spores in the air can cause skin irritation, headaches, itchy eyes, sore throat, and breathing difficulty for many people. Students should see a doctor right away for any mold-related health problems.
Stern Mold has been serving New York City, New Jersey, and Long Island since 1995. We use the most advanced methods like MoldExterm. Contact us for a free inspection.