What Does Mold Smell Like?
Is your home starting to smell like a locker room? Chances are it has nothing to do with your laundry habits. Mold smell is a distinctive odor that shouldn’t be ignored.
Identifying Mold Smell
A moldy or musty smell usually indicates the presence of mold or mildew. It’s an earthy, damp odor similar to what you might experience walking through a forest or opening a summer home that’s been closed up for months.
Difference Between Mold and Mildew
• Mildew is a powdery substance that appears on the surface of plant materials such as flowers or produce.
• Mold has a thicker appearance and penetrates more deeply into the surface on which it’s colonized. While mold can also appear on plant matter, it’s often found on walls and ceilings as well as materials such as books, carpets and clothing.
• A musty smell is less intense than a moldy smell, but it can become magnified without immediate treatment.
Preventing Mold Smell
• Watch for excess moisture, such as high humidity levels or water leaks.
• In case of leaks or floods, immediately dry the affected areas thoroughly. It can take only 48 hours for mold to begin forming in damp spots.
• Regardless of the cause, don’t ignore a mold smell. Untreated mold infestations can lead to serious structural damages, and once the odor seeps in, it’s difficult to eliminate.
Effective and Eco-Friendly Mold Removal in NJ and NYC
Despite the smell, a mold infestation may not be visible. Our professional technicians will conduct a free mold inspection, and our proprietary MoldExterm process is thorough, non-invasive and cost-effective.
Contact Stern Mold today to schedule a free mold inspection.