Center for Disease Control – Tips on Mold Control

Protect your Health from Dangerous Molds That May be in Your Home.

Protect your Health from Getting Dangerous Molds.

Indoor mold can cause major health problems. People who are highly sensitive to mold spores can have allergic reactions just from touching or inhaling mold spores. There is strong evidence that long-term exposure to mold can cause asthma.

People already diagnosed with asthma should avoid contact with mold spores because it is likely to cause an asthma attack. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has some helpful information on controlling mold.

Control moisture to control mold

Mold colonies begin when a tiny mold spore lands on a damp area of an organic material. To continue growing and spreading, the mold needs a food source like drywall paper or wood, the right temperature range (about 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit), and continued moisture.

To prevent mold growth inside a building or effectively eliminate an existing mold problem, you must control moisture. Any leaks should be fixed and cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Keep humidity levels in your home as low as you can. You can purchase a meter to measure indoor humidity at your local home improvement store. Ideally, the level should be lower than 50 percent. A dehumidifier can help keep the level low. Proper air flow and exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom are essential to removing moist air.

If your home has mold

Traditional NJ mold removal methods are messy, time-consuming, and expensive. The MoldExterm method can typically be completed in one day for much less than traditional NJ mold removal. We also provide a comprehensive warranty of our work. Contact Stern Mold to schedule a free mold inspection and consultation with one of our courteous and professional technicians.