Mold has a distinctive odor that’s described as an old and musty smell. It’s unpleasant and when detected usually means there is mold growing somewhere in your home.
Mold can be in the ceiling, floor, behind the wall near pipes, laundry room, or any other place that has been affected by water. It can move from one area to another and if it’s in a hidden place, you won’t even know it.
Why The Smell?
The reason for the odor is mold is made up of mycotoxins that produce the odor. Mycotoxins are a compound of mold spores. When mold is present, these spores become airborne and are inhaled by humans and pets.
Mycotoxins cause a variety of health issues such as sinus infections, sore throats, joint pain, migraines, bronchitis, as well as exhaustion and difficulty with the digestive system.
What to Do?
While cleaning with strong solutions or using air fresheners can mask the musty smell, it does not get rid of the problem. A professional service dedicated to mold removal will know how to detect the level and severity of mold in your home.
Locating the mold problem is the first step followed by eliminating the problem are the priority. You can do this through the services of a NYC mold removal professional. An expert trained in mold detection will find all the nooks and crannies where mold may be growing, determine the type of mold, and make removal recommendations.
When the unsightly discolorations of smelly mold are affecting your quality of life, take a stand and get help from the NYC mold removal specialists at SternMold. Call today for a free inspection.