Not always the ‘Fungi’ – How To Keep Unwelcome Mold Out of Your Home
Entertaining house guests is usually a good time, unless they’re the “fungi” variety. Keep nasty mold and mildew out of your home with these helpful NYC mold removal tips.
Difference Between Mold and Mildew
While the two terms are sometimes used interchangeably, there’s a difference between mold and mildew.
• Mold generally appears black or dark green in color, with a slimy texture and musty odor.
• Mildew is usually gray or white and powdery or fluffy to the touch.
Mildew often appears on damp surfaces such as shower curtains, while mold is more invasive, finding its way into and behind walls, ceilings and hidden spaces. Mold is also associated with a number of health problems, more so than mildew.
Prevention and Cleaning Tips
• Excess moisture is the primary cause of mold and mildew. Promptly repair broken pipes, leaky roofs and other causes of water build-up.
• Thoroughly dry affected surfaces after spills or flooding.
• Run the air conditioning regularly to keep humidity levels low. Dehumidifiers can also be useful.
• Be sure bathrooms, kitchens and other damp areas are well-ventilated.
• Make a cleaning solution with one cup of oxygen bleach powder to one gallon of hot water. Apply with a spray bottle and wait 30 minutes, then scrub the stains with a nylon stiff-bristle brush.
Stern Mold: Your Top Choice for NYC Mold Removal
Our proprietary NYC mold removal system is eco-friendly, non-invasive and cost-effective. Contact us to schedule a free mold inspection.