Health Concerns of People Exposed to Mold
The good news is that you won’t die if you’re exposed to mold – even if it’s black mold. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t contact Manhattan mold removal specialists to have it taken care of. Mold in your home can still make you and your family sick, so it’s definitely something you’ll want to handle as soon as possible. Let’s talk about what you need to know.
The Effects of Mold on People’s Health
There are some people who don’t react to the presence of mold at all. But there are others who are very sensitive to it. These individuals may develop a number of symptoms including:
* Itchy, watery eyes
* Itchy skin or rashes
* Breathing problems, such as wheezing
* A stuffy nose
* Sneezing and coughing
Some people develop allergies to mold, and there are others who may develop asthma as a result of it. For someone who already has breathing problems, mold can make them a lot worse.
Who is at Risk for Mold-Related Health Problems?
People with serious health problems could be at risk for severe reactions to mold. That includes people who are allergic to it and those with lung diseases or immune system issues. But the presence of mold can also trigger any of the above, so it’s important to take care of it quickly.
Contact Your Manhattan Mold Removal Experts
When it comes to Manhattan mold removal, Stern Mold is here to help. We offer free inspections, so reach out to us today to get yours. We’ll come up with a plan to fix your mold problem right away.
Celebrities Aren’t Immune to Mold Growing In Their Home
Even fame and fortune are no match when it comes to mold. Here’s a look at some celebrities who were forced to seek NYC mold removal, lawsuits, and other remedies for their home woes.
Celebrities vs. Mold
• Dr. Oz is a go-to expert for health advice, but he needed to bring in outside help when mold was discovered behind the living room walls of his home. Today Dr. Oz has become an advocate of mold testing, frequently advising his viewers to have their homes checked.
• Bianca Jagger, former wife of rock star Mick Jagger, was paying $4,600 per month in rent on her NYC luxury apartment, yet three environmental tests came back positive for mold. At that point, Bianca quit paying rent and began an extended legal battle with her landlord based on mold-related health issues.
• Doctors were unable to determine the exact cause of death for late actress Brittany Murphy. When her husband died five months later after exhibiting similar symptoms, speculation grew over the possibility of mold poisoning.
• NBA legend Michael Jordan filed a $2.5 million lawsuit against builders who installed stucco on his home after it retained water, resulting in mold growth.
• In 2011, boxing great Mohammed Ali spent $1 million on a Louisiana home that turned out to harbor mold caused by extensive water damage.
NYC Mold Removal for All Situations
Don’t break the bank treating your mold problem. Contact Stern Mold to schedule a free inspection by our NYC mold removal experts.
Smelling for Mold
You’ve read stories about problems with interior mold, but how do you know when it’s a problem in your own home? Our NYC mold removal experts share the top signs that should alert you to the presence of indoor mold.
Visible Mold Patches
Visible growth is the most common and easily detectable sign of mold. But if you do spot surface mold anywhere in your home, don’t assume that’s the extent of it. Chances are more mold exists in hidden areas.
Damp, Musty Odor
There’s no mistaking the damp, pungent smell of indoor mold. That odor doesn’t occur in “healthy” homes, so don’t assume you can cover it up with air freshener and call it good.
Water Leaks and Flooding
Water is the key to mold growth, so leaky pipes and roofs create ideal conditions for spores to grow and multiply. If your home has experienced flooding due to broken pipes, bad weather or other mishaps, assume that mold will develop and contact our NYC mold removal team for treatment.
Prolonged exposure to mold can trigger allergic reactions, even in people with no previous history of allergies. If you or members of your family experience symptoms such as coughing, sneezing and watery eyes, it could be due to indoor mold, especially if symptoms subside when you’re away from home.
Effective and Eco-Friendly NYC Mold Removal
Our MoldExterm program removes mold safely and leaves a protective barrier to prevent its return. Contact Stern Mold to schedule a free inspection.
Does Mold Exposure Show Up on Blood Tests?
Black mold could be lurking in your home without you even being aware that it’s there. Maybe you’re showing some of the signs of black mold exposure, but you want to know for sure. There are several ways you can find out, including taking a blood test. Your Manhattan mold removal specialists want to make sure you take good care of your health, so if you’re having a reaction to black mold, you can find out for certain.
Taking a Blood Test for Mold Exposure
This test is minimally invasive but very informative. Your doctor will need to take a sample of your blood and send it to a lab for testing. They will check to see how the antibodies in your system react to various mold species, black mold included. When they test your blood, they will also look for toxins that indicate mold poisoning.
Getting a Skin Prick Test
Skin prick tests are another way for your doctor to tell if you’re allergic to certain types of mold. They take various types and apply them to the skin using small needles. If you’re allergic to that type of mold, your skin will react by forming a rash or other reaction.
Talk With Your Manhattan Mold Removal Experts
Getting exposed to black mold can lead to all kinds of health issues, including asthma, hair loss, confusion, memory loss, and more. Contact us, your Manhattan mold removal professionals, for assistance with your mold problem. We offer free inspections!
Mold May Affect Your Lungs
The term “toxic” is often used in conjunction with mold in reports of Manhattan mold removal. Is it redundant, or is there such a thing as non-toxic mold?
Types of Toxic Mold
Toxic mold, sometimes called black mold, refers to particular species that emit dangerous substances called mycotoxins. When you hear or read about toxic mold, it generally involves these types:
• Stachybotrys chartarum has a greenish-black, soot-like appearance, although dampness can add a slimy sheen to the surface. High moisture and cellulose content plus low nitrogen content provide the perfect breeding ground for Stachybotrys chartarum, which is why this species is so often found in water-damaged buildings.
• In contrast to Stachybotrys chartarum, Aspergillus niger is dark black to gray in color and dry in appearance. The two species do share the common feature of producing mycotoxins that create serious health risks.
While a number of other mold species may be black in color, not all of them are toxic. Cladosporium is the most common type of non-toxic mold. Other non-toxic species include Dresclera, Alternaria and Ulocladium.
Can Non-Toxic Mold Affect Health?
Side effects of non-toxic mold are not as serious as those caused by the toxic variety, but any type of mold can trigger allergic symptoms. Seek professional Manhattan mold removal any time you suspect an infestation in your home or building.
Efficient and Cost-Effective Manhattan Mold Removal
Our trained technicians are skilled at finding and eliminating mold in homes and buildings. Contact Stern Mold to schedule a free inspection.