National Poison Control Weighs In On the Dangers of Mold Exposure

Get Help From Our Professionals To Find and Remove Your Mold

Get Help From Our Professionals To Find and Remove Your Mold.

Organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration have posted information and warnings about the dangers of mold in homes and workplaces. The National Capital Poison Center is also speaking out about mold exposure and its effects on health.

How Mold Impacts You

The Center acknowledges the unsightly cosmetic effects of mold, but points out that there are more serious dangers involved:

• Mold grows on organic materials such as wood and paper, which can result in structural damage that affects a building’s integrity.

• Health problems have been linked with exposure to mold and mold spores. Studies show that mold can have negative effects through infections, irritations and immune responses such as allergic symptoms.

Where Does Mold Come From?

Mold spores are always present in the air, although they are sometimes tracked indoors via shoes and clothes. There are thousands of types of mold, each with their own characteristics. Some grow in food, while others can be found on wood or bathroom grout.

The one common thread uniting all types of mold is water, which is a necessary component for growth. Recently flooded areas or excessively humid spots like basements and bathrooms are prime targets for mold infestations.

Let Stern Mold Solve Your NYC Mold Removal Problems

The Center recommends that NYC mold removal be done by experienced professionals who can handle the job safely and effectively. We use a proprietary two-step process called MoldExterm that is non-toxic, eco-friendly and non-intrusive to building surfaces and structures.

Visit our website to learn more about our NYC mold removal program and schedule a free mold inspection.

Share This:

Mycotoxin Information for Manhattan Building Managers – Part Two

We are NYC's mold treatment experts!

We are NYC’s mold treatment experts!

Do you regularly have your building inspected for mold? If you discover a need for Manhattan or NJ mold treatment, you should be informed regarding the dangers of mycotoxins in order to protect residents, employees and customers.

Mycotoxins in the News

During the 1990s, as more was learned about the health risks of mycotoxins, a number of high-profile toxic mold settlements raised public awareness. Even expensive celebrity homes were not immune from mold damage and mycotoxins.

The Center of Integrative Toxicology at Michigan State University conducted a study regarding damp building-related illness (DBRI), where it was discovered that Stachybotrys is possibly a contributing factor. Animal testing has demonstrated that sensitivity to S. chartarum can produce inflammation and allergic symptoms of the upper and lower respiratory tracts.

How Does Mycotoxin Exposure Affect Humans?

There are some “good” mycotoxins that affect other fungi or bacteria, with penicillin being the most well-known example. With humans, the most common reactions to mycotoxin are respiratory allergies and inflammation and weakened immune systems. Scientists are also finding a possible connection between mycotoxin exposure and neurological damage.

Mycotoxicosis is the general term for poisoning from exposure to mycotoxins. Oral ingestion, skin contact and inhalation are the avenues through which mycotoxins enter the body, where they circulate via the bloodstream and lymphatic system.

Stern Mold: Effective Manhattan and NJ Mold Treatment

Mold exposure is nothing you should leave to chance. Our professionally trained technicians usually complete our non-toxic MoldExterm treatment in one day, with no removal of building materials and minimum interruption to your routine.

Call 888.887.8376 to schedule a free mold inspection of your home or building.

Share This:

Mycotoxin Information for Manhattan Building Managers – Part One

Mold in an Office Building is No Problem for Us

Mold in an Office Building is No Problem for Us

How “healthy” is your Manhattan building? If you need Manhattan mold treatment service, you should be aware of mycotoxins and the health effects they can have on residents, employees and customers.

What Are Mycotoxins?

Mycotoxins are chemicals produced by mold and other fungi. They’re considered a secondary substance because they’re not necessary for the organism’s existence.

Just as mold comes in a wide range of different species, there are a number of different types of mycotoxins. A particular mycotoxin may be produced by many species of mold, or a specific type of mold may generate numerous mycotoxins.

Where Are Mycotoxins Found?

Moldy crops are a common source of mycotoxins. Aflatoxins, one of the more common varieties, is usually found in commodities such as peanuts, spices, pistachios and maize. Food-borne mycotoxins present a danger to both humans and livestock.

Buildings are the other major source of mycotoxins. Stachybotrys chartarum has the highest mycotoxin content of indoor molds, while Apergillus also produces many of the more frequently found mycotoxins.

Low levels of mycotoxins are not generally risky. Problems arise when a mold infestation develops on an interior surface, creating prolonged exposure to mycotoxins. This happens when microscopic mold spores, which are always present in the air, land on a damp spot which provides the optimum conditions for growth.

Restore Your Building’s Health with Manhattan Mold Treatment by Stern Mold

Cleaning your building isn’t enough to remove the risk of mycotoxins and mold-related illnesses. The mold must be removed completely and steps must be taken to prevent future occurrences.

Visit our website for information about our proprietary two-step MoldExterm process and schedule a free mold inspection.

Share This:

NYC Parents Be on the Watch for Black Mold Exposure Symptoms in Infants

Mold Isn't Just In Old Buildings, Find Out if You're Safe Before It's Too Late.

Mold Isn’t Just In Old Buildings, Find Out if You’re Safe Before It’s Too Late.

Black mold problems are bad enough in adults, but they can be far worse in infants. One of the worst problems is bleeding in the lungs. Because an infant’s lungs are still developing, they cannot readily rid themselves of the toxins from black mold. Symptoms include coughing up blood, nose bleeds and/or difficulty catching their breath, particularly in infants less than 6 months old.

Lung problems are serious, and if these symptoms are occurring, a physician should be contacted immediately.

Intestinal Problems

Virtually all kids will have nausea and vomit on occasion, but if these symptoms continue for any length of time, black toxic mold may be the cause. Diarrhea and abdominal pain may also accompany these symptoms, and lack of an appetite and loss of weight may also be seen.

As these conditions may potentially be life threatening, a visit to the doctor is recommended to find out whether or not toxic mold is the problem.

Rash

Rashes occur for many reasons, but they can also happen if your child comes into physical contact with black mold. Generally, a redness will appear where the child touched the mold, but a rash may develop on any part of the body after contact. Regular creams and ointments used for rash treatment will have virtually no effect on a black mold rash.

If the rash doesn’t go away, a physician should be consulted and NYC mold treatment may be needed.

Learn More

For questions and answers or to learn more about toxic black mold, please contact Stern Mold. We offer a free mold inspection and have been the NYC mold treatment specialists since 1995.

Share This:

NJ Parents Watch for Mold Exposure Symptoms in Children

If You Have a Mold Allergy, It's Better to be Safe than Sorry!

If You Have a Mold Allergy, It’s Better to be Safe than Sorry!

Black mold can be difficult to detect, since it can thrive inside walls and other hard-to-spot areas. However, this type of mold can cause a number of health problems, especially for children. Parents should watch for the following symptoms of black mold exposure in children and seek NJ mold treatment if needed.

Problems with the Respiratory System

Children who are exposed to black mold can experience problems with breathing and other signs of respiratory issues. These include a runny nose, coughing, sneezing, sore throat and itchy or irritated eyes. Children who have asthma might experience frequent attacks due to mold spores.

Skin Rash

Black mold exposure can irritate the skin. Children who touch black mold spores might have a rash or itchy skin. These symptoms don’t occur as often, since black mold usually grows in areas that children can’t reach.

A Wide Range of Symptoms

Parents should keep in mind that black mold affects children in different ways. Children in the same household can experience different symptoms after exposure to black mold. Some other symptoms to watch for in addition to skin and respiratory symptoms include headaches, nausea, memory problems and nosebleeds.

Hemorrhage

Hemorrhage that affects the lungs, known as idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage, might be linked to black mold exposure in infants. However, researchers have not established a firm link between mold and this condition. More research is needed on this potential health issue.

If you have a mold problem in your home, it’s important to get help as soon as possible. Contact Stern Mold to learn more about our NJ mold treatment. We offer safe and reliable mold remediation services.

Share This:

« Older Entries Recent Entries »