Asbestos, Mold, and Fumes Create A Hazardous Work Environment for Fire Fighters
Firefighters put their lives on the line to protect the public in dangerous situations. But how do firefighters deal with mold and other hazardous conditions in their own stations? Here’s a look at the importance of NYC mold removal in the workplace.
When a Fire Station Is “Sick”
Gary Michael Horsley Jr. is a firefighter in Birmingham, AL. In December 2019, Horsley filed a federal complaint stating that asbestos, mold and toxic fumes in the city’s Fire Station 27 created a health risk for firefighters and visitors.
Built in 1956, the station underwent an assessment by an environmental services company in June 2019. At the time, Fire Station 27 was temporarily closed and firefighters were relocated.
While asbestos was found in some of the building materials, testing indicated the indoor air quality “was not significantly affected” by its presence. Based on the final report, crews replaced damaged floor and ceiling tiles in the station and the city announced plans to schedule future cleanings.
Did the City Do Enough?
Despite the city’s actions, Horsley’s lawsuit says concerns haven’t been adequately addressed and Fire Station 27 remains “a hazard to the health” of firefighters and visitors. The building was declared safe late last year, but so far Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin hasn’t officially responded to the complaint.
Residential and Commercial NYC Mold Removal from Stern Mold
Our MoldExterm program provides safe and effective NYC mold removal in homes and commercial buildings. Contact us to schedule a free mold inspection.
New York City Housing Authority To Spend $50 Million In The Fight Against Mold
How much is good health worth? The New York City Housing Authority is spending $50 million on a Manhattan mold removal project to correct a problem that has long plagued city-run apartment complexes.
Cleaning “Sick” Buildings
NYCHA residents have struggled with mold-related issues for at least 10 years. Lack of maintenance of air vents in the apartment buildings has been a significant cause. Incredibly, over a 60-year period, most of the vents have gone without cleaning except for occasional complaint-driven occurrences.
In 2013, after a community group sued the city on behalf of asthma sufferers living in the apartment buildings, a federal judge was appointed to oversee mold cleanup efforts. The current project includes scrubbing ventilation ducts and replacing faulty belt-driven roof fans with belt-free direct-drive fans.
Keeping ventilation systems clean is only one step in controlling mold growth. Dampness from flooding and leaky pipes creates ideal conditions for mold spores to multiply. Unfortunately, this type of damage often happens in out-of-the-way areas where mold can grow unseen.
Repairing water damage is also on the horizon for the cleanup initiative. The NYCHA has earmarked $156 million in their budget for pipe work over the next five years.
Stern Mold: Your First Choice for Effective Manhattan Mold Removal
When it comes to Manhattan mold removal, out of sight doesn’t mean out of mind. Enjoy peace of mind knowing your home is free of mold infestations. Contact us for a free mold inspection by our professionally trained technicians.
When The Place That’s Supposed To Make You Better Makes You Sicker – What To Know About Hospital Mold Infestations
Where do you turn when the healthcare system causes you to become even sicker? A recent story out of Seattle illustrates why NYC mold removal is so important for medical facilities.
History of Mold-Related Illnesses
In November 2019, Seattle Children’s Hospital temporarily closed most of its operating rooms to install a new rooftop air handler and in-room HEPA filters. Sadly, this move came only after 14 patients developed aspergillosis over an 18-year period. Six cases resulted in fatalities.
Aspergillus is a common species of mold and one of the forms referred to as “toxic.” While most people experience no problems inhaling Aspergillus spores, those with preexisting lung conditions or compromised immune systems are at risk for developing infections known as aspergillosis.
One Patient’s Experience
Complaints from hospital employees about poor maintenance of the ventilation system came to light in a 2005 lawsuit involving a 12-year-old patient who became ill after successful brain surgery. Testing revealed that her spinal column was filled with Aspergillus mold, which necessitated a five-year course of antifungal medication.
Despite treatment and a long-term stay in rehabilitation, the patient was left with permanent disability. Testimony in the lawsuit included sworn statements from members of the hospital’s building and engineering department describing the mold- and debris-filled condition of the ventilation system.
Protect Your Health with Effective NYC Mold Removal
Mold has no respect for hospitals, restaurants or family homes. Contact Stern Mold to schedule a free inspection by our cheerful and experienced NYC mold removal technicians.
Serious Mold Treatment is Not for Do It Yourselfers
When you have a mold problem in your home or business, should you try to handle it on your own or call in the professionals? While some types of mold might only cause minor problems, it’s important to get professional Manhattan mold removal services for your property.
Mold can grow in many places inside a building, especially when there’s a source of moisture. Some types of mold can trigger allergies or other health problems in certain individuals, such as those with a mold allergy, infants, the elderly and those with a weakened immune system.
While mold might not cause serious health issues for some people, it’s still crucial to have a mold problem dealt with to prevent it from getting worse or becoming more widespread.
Finding and identifying mold in your home or business is very difficult. Many different types of mold can cause problems for property owners to varying degrees, especially those that produce mycotoxins. Figuring out what kind of mold you have and determining whether or not you have it growing inside walls or other hard-to-detect areas should be left to the experts.
Professional mold removal technicians can identify mold and detect where it’s growing in your home or business. These experts can effectively rid your property of mold in order to lower your risk of having health issues.
If you need professional Manhattan mold removal services, please contact Stern Mold today to learn more about how we can help you.
Health Concerns of People Exposed to Mold
The good news is that you won’t die if you’re exposed to mold – even if it’s black mold. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t contact Manhattan mold removal specialists to have it taken care of. Mold in your home can still make you and your family sick, so it’s definitely something you’ll want to handle as soon as possible. Let’s talk about what you need to know.
The Effects of Mold on People’s Health
There are some people who don’t react to the presence of mold at all. But there are others who are very sensitive to it. These individuals may develop a number of symptoms including:
* Itchy, watery eyes
* Itchy skin or rashes
* Breathing problems, such as wheezing
* A stuffy nose
* Sneezing and coughing
Some people develop allergies to mold, and there are others who may develop asthma as a result of it. For someone who already has breathing problems, mold can make them a lot worse.
Who is at Risk for Mold-Related Health Problems?
People with serious health problems could be at risk for severe reactions to mold. That includes people who are allergic to it and those with lung diseases or immune system issues. But the presence of mold can also trigger any of the above, so it’s important to take care of it quickly.
Contact Your Manhattan Mold Removal Experts
When it comes to Manhattan mold removal, Stern Mold is here to help. We offer free inspections, so reach out to us today to get yours. We’ll come up with a plan to fix your mold problem right away.