Category Archives: Mold Identification

Could You Be Suffering From Toxic Mold Exposure?

The Presence of Mold Can Seriously Impact Your Health

Mold Exposure

Your NYC mold removal specialists want you to stay informed about toxic mold, and here is something interesting to think about. Toxic mold exposure.

What is Toxic Mold Exposure Like?

Unfortunately, toxic mold exposure resembles several other respiratory problems like allergies, colds, sinus infections, asthma and others. That’s why it may be one of the more difficult illnesses to diagnose.

Some of the signs might be:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Sinus problems
  • Fatigue
  • Red eyes
  • Blurred vision
  • Tears
  • Lightheadedness
  • Headaches
  • Light sensitivity

Those symptoms are some of the most common results of toxic mold exposure, but as you can see, they are also symptoms of various kinds of upper respiratory illnesses as well.

There are other ways to tell, and here are a few:

  • Has your building or home been recently flooded?
  • Are you being exposed to musty air?
  • Is there noticeable water damage in any room, particularly the bathroom and/or laundry room?
  • Do your symptoms worsen on days with rain?
  • Are you getting treatment from a doctor for an upper respiratory illness, but it never seems to go away?
  • Do you have skin rashes for no apparent reason?

Once again, these are potentially common problems with various types of respiratory illnesses, but if you are experiencing symptoms and problems from both of these lists at the same time, you could be suffering from toxic mold exposure.

If you see any black mold in your house, home or apartment, or you are experiencing upper respiratory problems that never seem to go away, call your NYC mold removal specialist, Stern Mold, for a free mold inspection. Serving the NY and NJ areas for nearly 25 years.

Share This:

Damp Environments and Your Health as Detailed by the Center for Disease Control

Damp Environments and Your Health as Detailed by the Center for Disease Control

Damp Environments and Your Health as Detailed by the Center for Disease Control

A lot of posts, blogs and articles have been written about how bad toxic black mold can be for your health, and virtually every NYC mold removal company is aware of the problems. Of course when reading these stories, you may think that they’re embellished, made up or downright exaggerated for business or marketing purposes. Well, that can’t be further from the truth.

The CDC

The most respected organization for fitness and health issues, named The Center For Disease Control And Prevention (CDC) which is a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has published a major article called the “Facts About Mold and Dampness.” In it they write about mold and your health, mold in your home, and how to control mold. They also give great mold prevention tips!

Now, even though you may not think of an article on mold as being all that interesting, this one is filled with facts, ideas and information that virtually everyone should know about, and certainly any NYC mold removal company will also know these facts and figures.

Nothing to Sneeze At

Mold in your house or home may actually cause you to sneeze, but it is nothing to sneeze at. There are many serious health issues, particularly for babies and young children, so mold, especially toxic black mold, should be kept out of your house or home. At the very least, this article from the CDC gives prevention tips that should be followed for a happy and healthy mold-free life.

For more information, or a free mold evaluation, please contact Stern Mold, the experts in mold remediation, serving New York and New Jersey.

Share This:

Mycotoxin Information for Manhattan Building Managers – Part Two

We are NYC's mold treatment experts!

We are NYC’s mold treatment experts!

Do you regularly have your building inspected for mold? If you discover a need for Manhattan or NJ mold treatment, you should be informed regarding the dangers of mycotoxins in order to protect residents, employees and customers.

Mycotoxins in the News

During the 1990s, as more was learned about the health risks of mycotoxins, a number of high-profile toxic mold settlements raised public awareness. Even expensive celebrity homes were not immune from mold damage and mycotoxins.

The Center of Integrative Toxicology at Michigan State University conducted a study regarding damp building-related illness (DBRI), where it was discovered that Stachybotrys is possibly a contributing factor. Animal testing has demonstrated that sensitivity to S. chartarum can produce inflammation and allergic symptoms of the upper and lower respiratory tracts.

How Does Mycotoxin Exposure Affect Humans?

There are some “good” mycotoxins that affect other fungi or bacteria, with penicillin being the most well-known example. With humans, the most common reactions to mycotoxin are respiratory allergies and inflammation and weakened immune systems. Scientists are also finding a possible connection between mycotoxin exposure and neurological damage.

Mycotoxicosis is the general term for poisoning from exposure to mycotoxins. Oral ingestion, skin contact and inhalation are the avenues through which mycotoxins enter the body, where they circulate via the bloodstream and lymphatic system.

Stern Mold: Effective Manhattan and NJ Mold Treatment

Mold exposure is nothing you should leave to chance. Our professionally trained technicians usually complete our non-toxic MoldExterm treatment in one day, with no removal of building materials and minimum interruption to your routine.

Call 888.887.8376 to schedule a free mold inspection of your home or building.

Share This:

Mycotoxin Information for Manhattan Building Managers – Part One

Mold in an Office Building is No Problem for Us

Mold in an Office Building is No Problem for Us

How “healthy” is your Manhattan building? If you need Manhattan mold treatment service, you should be aware of mycotoxins and the health effects they can have on residents, employees and customers.

What Are Mycotoxins?

Mycotoxins are chemicals produced by mold and other fungi. They’re considered a secondary substance because they’re not necessary for the organism’s existence.

Just as mold comes in a wide range of different species, there are a number of different types of mycotoxins. A particular mycotoxin may be produced by many species of mold, or a specific type of mold may generate numerous mycotoxins.

Where Are Mycotoxins Found?

Moldy crops are a common source of mycotoxins. Aflatoxins, one of the more common varieties, is usually found in commodities such as peanuts, spices, pistachios and maize. Food-borne mycotoxins present a danger to both humans and livestock.

Buildings are the other major source of mycotoxins. Stachybotrys chartarum has the highest mycotoxin content of indoor molds, while Apergillus also produces many of the more frequently found mycotoxins.

Low levels of mycotoxins are not generally risky. Problems arise when a mold infestation develops on an interior surface, creating prolonged exposure to mycotoxins. This happens when microscopic mold spores, which are always present in the air, land on a damp spot which provides the optimum conditions for growth.

Restore Your Building’s Health with Manhattan Mold Treatment by Stern Mold

Cleaning your building isn’t enough to remove the risk of mycotoxins and mold-related illnesses. The mold must be removed completely and steps must be taken to prevent future occurrences.

Visit our website for information about our proprietary two-step MoldExterm process and schedule a free mold inspection.

Share This:

Mold, Now Called a BioAerosol, Can Cause Hypersensitivity Disease

Mold Spores Stay in the Air Causing Health Problems

Mold Spores Can Cause Hypersensitivity Disease

Health scientists have recently improved their understanding of why mold causes illness. As you may already know, you don’t need to touch mold to get sick, because you’re already breathing it in. Like airborne germs, mold particles infiltrate our indoor air as a “bioaerosol.”

Bioaerosols such as mold and other fungi are known to cause allergy-related illnesses called hypersensitivity diseases.

Hypersensitivity diseases take many forms depending on the type of mold exposure and the individual. The four most common mold-related illnesses according to NJDOH are:

Building-related asthma: Coughing, shortness of breath, chest pains. May occur immediately or hours later.

Allergic rhinitis: Itchy eyes and runny or stuffy nose symptoms.

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis: Fever, coughing, fatigue, weight loss, and other acute symptoms of pneumonia. Often comes back repeatedly.

Humidifier fever: Fever, chills, and cold symptoms associated with mold or other biotoxins being dispersed by a humidifier.

Unfortunately, once a person has a hypersensitivity, just a small amount of the mold particles can re-trigger the symptoms at any time. So, if your home has a mold infestation you need to bring in our NJ mold treatment professionals.

Stern’s NJ Mold Treatment Offers Permanent Protection

Typical household cleaners can only partially remove a mold problem, and untreated mold spores can easily grow back.

Stern Mold uses a two-part process of antimicrobial cleaning followed by a polymer seal. We destroy the mold, then add a blocking layer so the spores will never cause another outbreak. You can breathe easy, especially because our NJ mold treatment doesn’t require breaking into walls and ceilings.

Take action to prevent asthma and allergy problems and schedule a free estimate for NJ mold treatment today.

Share This:

« Older Entries